Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Exploring my artistic side




One of the luxuries of retirement is the time to develop new interests and skills. I've been captivated by oil painting after attending a workshop this summer at Norton's Cove Studio (my most favorite haunt in New Wes Valley!) and learning some basics from Tara Bryan, a fabulous instructor from St. John's who started life in Texas (another place that I love).

My first paintings were of the wild roses in my yard, and I painted them from photos I had taken.

Then I found recorded programs of Ed Martiniuk demonstrating a "wet on wet" technique on satellite tv. The two at the top were painted by following his instructions. I have a fondness for the one that shows the hay bales piled in the field. I used to drive the tractor while my dad loaded them onto a tiny trailer that would pile them into this shape and then dump them to dry before putting them into a huge stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment